Kids' Summer Reading
How does Summer Reading Work?
- Pick up a Dig Into Reading Summer Reading Entry Sheet at the Main Library in Youth Services or at one of our branch locations (Library! at Cole & Ustick, Library! at Collister, or Library! at Hillcrest). Or, click here to print a copy of the Summer Reading entry sheet starting June 1.
- Beginning June 1, keep track of the time you spend reading books, being read to or listening to audiobooks. The goal is to read at least 20 minutes a day over the summer, and to HAVE FUN!
- Complete and return your Summer Reading Entry Sheet starting June 1 to your nearest library by July 31 to earn prizes and to be entered in prize drawings.
- Bonus levels may also be completed for additional entries into prize drawings. Pick up bonus coupons at the library location where you're registered, or click here to print a page of bonus coupons starting June 1.
- Participants must be Boise residents with a public library card (or have a parent or guardian with a valid card).
- The Kids Summer Reading Program is for kids 12 years old or younger. Other ages, please see Teen Summer Reading or Adult Summer Reading.
- Participants may enter at only one library site and must pick up all earned prizes at that location.
- Boise Public Library's Summer Reading program runs June 1 - July 31.
Children are encouraged to read 20 minutes each day to earn prizes. Each level is equivalent to reading 20 minutes for 10 days, or a total of 3 hours and 20 minutes. The levels must be completed in order.
- Level 1 = One selection from the treasure box (contains tickets, food coupons and lots of treasures)
- Level 2 = Two selections from the treasure box, and a Boise Hawks coupon.
- Level 3 = Three picks from the prize box, a FREE BOOK and a ticket to the Discovery Center of Idaho.
- Bonus level(s) = Additional entries in prize drawings (see below)
Each level completed also qualifies a child to enter a drawing for one of several gift certificates, including a Barnes & Noble gift card, a Toys"R"Us gift card, Flying Pie gift certificates and others. Time read beyond the 3 levels can be entered in prize drawings as a bonus level. The more time spent reading, the greater the chance to win!
Prizes are subject to availability; substitutions may be necessary. Sponsor's rules and limits apply. Prizes must be picked up by August 14, 2013.
Our sincere thanks to our summer reading prize sponsors. Please visit them to say thank you.