Renewing, Reserving & Returning Items
Options for Renewing Materials
Materials can be renewed in person, by phone, and online. Items are not eligible for renewal if there is a hold for another customer or if the item has reached maximum renewals. (See Loans, Limits and Overdue Items.)
- Online: To renew your materials online, go to My Account. Log-in using your library card number and PIN (Personal Identification Number - usually the last 4 digits of your telephone number). From this screen you may renew your items.
- Telephone: Dial 384-4450 any time, day or night, to use the automated telephone renewal system. You must be a Treasure Valley Library card holder to use this service. The system will provide you with an account summary, allow you to list titles you've borrowed, list titles ready for pick up, list titles you have requested, and renew your items. You will need your library card number and PIN, and the item barcode numbers of materials to be renewed.
- Interlibrary Loans: Interlibrary loans may be renewed if approved by the lending library. To request a renewal for these items, call 972-8223 or email email@example.com before the due date.
Customer accounts are blocked from renewing items if there are fines of $10.00 or more on the account, if the library card has been reported lost or stolen, or is expired, or if there is information in the account that requires updating. If your account is blocked or your items are overdue, visit or call one of our locations during regular business hours and a staff member will assist you.
Reserving Materials (Placing a Hold)
Log into your account in the online catalog to place a hold on an item that is checked out or at another library location. Each account is allowed up to 10 holds, including titles waiting to be filled and those waiting for pick up.
NOTE: If the item says "checked in" and you intend to come into the library THAT DAY, do not place a hold. Instead, call the Library at 972-8200 so we can set the item aside for you.
Hold Notification: You will be notified by email or phone when your item is ready for pickup. To be notified by email, update your library card information with your email address under "Profile" when you log in to Your Account using the online catalog.
Hold Delivery and Pick Up: Choose one of the local libraries listed below to pick up your item:
Returning Materials to the Library
You may return most library materials to any Boise Public Library location, and to any of the locations listed above for pick up. Materials may also be returned to Boise City Hall West. (The City Hall West outside book drop is available 24/7, but materials are picked up weekday afternoons only.)
- Kidpacks must be returned only to Youth Services in the Main Library downtown at 715 S Capitol Boulevard.
- Interlibrary loans must be returned to the library handling the request.