The Boise Public Library Foundation, Inc. was formed in 1985 as a nonprofit corporation to benefit the Library. Led by influential community leaders, the Foundation facilitates funding of a library system of the future and secures needed private dollars to sustain library projects.
Towards these goals, Foundation directors focus on educating the broader Boise public about the library’s benefits and on implementing an ongoing fundraising strategy. They also provide fundraising training to new directors, develop relationships with current and potential stakeholders, estate planning advisors and attorneys, and promote the potential for naming the Foundation in a legacy.
Funds raised through the Foundation are used exclusively for the benefit of Boise Public Library and are not part of the City budget.
Foundation Board Members
- Bev Harad, Chair
- Tonya Westenskow, Vice Chair
- Mike Turner, Secretary/Treasurer
- Jim Thompson, Library Board Liaison
|Dr. John Werdel
Library Leaders are members of the community who have lent their names and support to the Boise Public Library Foundation to help build awareness of the value that libraries provide to the Boise community. See list of Library Leaders.
Giving to the Foundation
Your donation to the Boise Public Library Foundation helps the Library continue to provide more and better library services to the community. Donations in any amount are gratefully accepted, and qualify as a charitable donation and for an Idaho state tax credit.
If you would like to make a financial donation to the Foundation today, just print and complete the donation form and mail it with your contribution to the address indicated on the form. For more information, please call 384-4238.
The Foundation's first major achievement was the raising of $850,000 through a direct donation drive that was used to convert the third floor of the present Main Library building into public service space and to remodel the first and second floors. This remodeling provided space in which to house additional materials added to the Library's collection and to expand some areas to allow for better service to library users.
Other fundraising projects have included:
- The Bucks for Books campaign, which raised raised $50,000 toward the purchase of library materials.
- Masquerade Balls and At Home events, which raised $8,000 annually for the purchase of materials and library equipment.
- Completion of the community room at the former Boise Towne Square Mall library branch.
- Installation of a local area computer network for public and staff access at the Main Library.
- Plans are underway for a permanent endowment fund to benefit Boise Public Library.